Monday 3 June 2013

Sharing the Truth

A sermon:  on Luke 13:1-5

Luk 13:1  There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
Luk 13:2  And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
Luk 13:3  I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luk 13:4  Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
Luk 13:5  I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.




About a week ago (May 26), a prayer of mine before falling asleep was "Lord please open my eyes more clearly (thinking on Elisha's words in 2Kings 6:17), please show me what I must do".  The Lord was faithful to answer that prayer to me...but what is shown to me isn't what I wanted to see.

This morning I listened to the sermon I linked to above, and Pastor Dykstra talks about what Jesus said about the proper response we should have to disaster. How timely. One of the things he talks about is that we should all examine ourselves if we truly have a true saving faith, a repentant faith, because anything else is a false illusion of faith.

Recently I've been hearing  talk against teaching repentance, and even that teaching repentance is legalism, a teaching of pharisees...and I have to admit that I was confused about this because I thought that repentance,  and an active and a continuous inclination of the mind of being repentant, is a vital and active part of what being a Christian is...so when I had "loving Christians" who I trusted to tell me the truth tell me this is wrong and unloving and prevents people from coming to Christ, I admit that it had thrown me for a loop and put me into quite a state of confusion.

I really like what Pastor Dykstra says about all of that, and what he says in this sermon is precisely what the Lord has been opening my eyes to over the last several days. Coincidence? No, I don't think so.

Tit 2:14  Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Tit 2:15  These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome, however spam will be removed.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

If a comment is mocking or otherwise unfruitful it will be removed. If a comment is completely irrelevant to the post it likewise will be removed. If the post contains an audio or video teaching and it is obvious that the commenter has not listened to the presentation the comment may (or might not) be posted and I probably won't reply.