Thursday 13 December 2012

Charles Spurgeon



This past week I've been listening to many of Phil Johnson's sermons, and my absolute favorites (thus far anyway) are his talks about Charles Spurgeon. I would have loved to have met Pastor Spurgeon and attended his meetings! What a sweet man Spurgeon was... his enemies broke his heart which is why he died so young, at only 58 years (!) of age. I'm posting the links, mostly for myself to be able to enjoy them again and again, but also for anyone else to hear about God's greatest preacher (in my opinion, and in the opinion of many others too). I thought all of the sermons on this site were accompanied with transcripts, but unfortunately there aren't any for the ones listed below...however, the second one, "The Conversion of Charles Spurgeon", does has a transcript link to click onto which provides the photos which Pastor Johnson showed in a slide presentation while giving this sermon so it adds to being able to follow along and have the full experience of the teaching.




And this link has more sermons about Charles Spurgeon which I have yet to look forward to listening to.

7 comments:

  1. Spurgeon has been a great blessing to me as well, I thank the Lord for how He has used this man, and continues to use him for His glory.

    Have you seen the Spurgeon movie? Here is the link in case you are interested - http://youtu.be/HlvK0EUn6u0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn, that is great! I didn't know there was a Spurgeon movie, awesome! My DH loves Spurgeon, and besides having seen a quote here or there, I didn't really know much about him. After hearing the above sermons, I am all into Spurgeon!! :D

      Delete
  2. I have been interested in Spurgeon for some time, but I haven't yet learned much about him. I will find time this holiday season to listen to the sermons. And I'll check out the movie link as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie,

      I'm glad to see your comment. You haven't posted in a while so I was concerned. The sermons are wonderful. Be sure to also click on the transcript tab to look at the pictures that Pastor Johnson refers to in the sermons. The series is so sweet, and the movie too. What I got is a bit of a "vision" of how the Lord uses preaching as His true word goes forth from the true preacher's mouth, and ignites the hearts of the hearers and converts people through the "foolish preaching" of His powerful word.

      Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Dear sister, This sermon by Spurgeon is one of my favorites, it is on human inability, and it is excellent! Here are a couple of links for you to this sermon....http://youtu.be/sokeURb_iGM
    You may read it here...http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0182.htm


    You will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn! I will be sure to get to reading and listening to it :) Did you know that Spurgeon.org is Pastor Phil Johnson's website? He also has complete books written by Spurgeon there. ...I've got lots of reading to do.

      Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. :)

      Delete
  4. I came across Phil's 'Spurgeon' website a few years back and was so excited the first time I did so! I have read quite a bit there, with much more reading yet to be done. I used part of Spurgeon's exposition on Psalm 51:2 in my on-line testimony, " “Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin”, Charles Spurgeon says this…’it is NOT enough to blot out the sin, - his person is defiled. The dye is in itself immovable, and I, the sinner, have lain long in it ‘til the crimson is ingrained. But Lord, wash, and wash, and wash again ‘til the last stain is gone, and not a trace of my defilement is left.’

    I have been blessed beyond measure by God through Charles Spurgeon; he is the second person I want to see when I finally go home!



    Pray you have a joyous Christmas too dear one!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome, however spam will be removed.

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

If a comment is mocking or otherwise unfruitful it will be removed. If a comment is completely irrelevant to the post it likewise will be removed. If the post contains an audio or video teaching and it is obvious that the commenter has not listened to the presentation the comment may (or might not) be posted and I probably won't reply.